Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Zo Bo? More like Bozo

My thoughts on the season finale of ABC's The Bachelor:

Like everyone else watching the final episode of the Bachelor last night I was pretty surprised when Jen was selected over Sadie. If you have read any of my previous bachelor posts than you know that I was a Sadie fan since the first episode. I have been thinking about his choice and still am not sure why he selected Jen. But I have a few thoughts/ideas:

(Remember I am just brainstorming here…)

He may not have selected Jen as much as he selected Not-Sadie. He really liked Sadie and was into her, she was all the things that he wanted. But contestants who fall head over heels do not have a good track record on this show. There is a certain attraction to the person who is more difficult, and it is possible that Jen feel into this category.

Also, being that Sadie was so ‘innocent’ may have added pressure. Lobs might have felt like even he was getting in over his head with her. He was on the show looking for a girl, but not necessarily ready to completely lock it up. Perhaps he felt like she was totally ready to settle down and be with him forever. He was nervous that he might not be at the exact same point as her and he felt guilty/bad about selecting her with that being the case.

The last point on the Not-Sadie argument is that he may have not felt exactly as he had hoped about either girl. They were both totally great but for whatever reason he just wasn’t convinced he was totally in love and ready to be with just one person. He might have figured that breaking up with Sadie at the final rose ceremony and then Jen later on was easier than giving Sadie the rose but then eventually breaking up with her to. Just the prospect of facing that down the road might have stricken Bozo with enough guilt to convince himself to let Sadie go now. He did care about her and it was clear how difficult it was for him to give her the boot. But he also knew Jen’s crazy dad would be ok with him letting her ‘win’ now and then breaking up later. As opposed to feeling let down by selecting Sadie now, but then having it not work out afterwards.

After my initial shock (and repeated punching of the couch) I remembered that last week on the Women Tell All special, the eliminated girls were asked who they thought Lozo would pick. And more of the girls guessed Jen than Sadie. I found that shocking at the time and assumed they were just bitter and jealous and liked Jen more than Sadie. But seeing the final show, it is possible that Jen was more highly regarded all along.

The final, and perhaps most important reason that I was shocked is because of the way the show was edited and shown to the viewers. I feel fairly confident that it was edited so that all of the viewers, like me, would be shocked. Most likely they decide which clips they want to show to make the show work. They can basically dictate how each character is perceived. So even though it seemed like Sadie was the favorite and everything was going so well with her, it might be the case that things were just as smooth with Jen. They just chose not to show it exactly that way. I don’t know.

I heard that they are no longer together, and if that were the case I would totally not be surprised. I think that would tend to support more of the points I made in the beginning of this post. I think maybe Lo-Zo-Bo wasn’t completely satisfied with his experience and as ready to lock it up as he had hoped. If he is now single, I wonder if he regrets not picking Sadie. Part of me feels like although he will never admit it, he probably does.

In any case, the moral of the story is I am still a sucker for romantic comedies and reality dating shows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of your thoughts.

I will add: To which ever Bachelor decided they weren't going to propose...boo on you becuase now no one does it. I am not saying that I condone marriage proposals based on 4 dates but it makes much better tv and at least gives us a little bit of hope that the show "worked." Season after season now we see a bunch of people flirting, kissing and staying in fantasy suites only to find out that the couple is no longer.

I will also say that no one since Trista has picked the "right" or "safe" girl so perhaps that is the problem.

I say every season that I am never going to watch again and we know that isn't going to reign true. Afterall, the new bachelor is hot. I will watch though with gaurded caution knowing that the "it" girl will not win and that the couple we are falling in life with probably called it quits months before the show actually aired.

Brian said...

i agree with your thoughts. and i said the same thing last night, but i will still watch the next one.

i also think it works better (or better TV) when there is a guy bachelor, although maybe a girl would be more likely to actually work out.

and i think you are forgetting about Byron. (I will have to verify with Morgan) but he was that older Bachelor, they started with 2 and then picked one to continue... I think he is still together and married but I could be wrong.

Anonymous said...

I thought that too but I read this morning that they were not married. Perhaps they are still together. That entire season was whack anyway so I tend to forget about it.