Friday, November 10, 2006

To Whom It May Concern

Dear coworkers-

I am writing to inform you that the urinals in our bathroom have flushing capabilities. I also wanted to let you know the purpose of such flushing is not only to empty solid contents. While I appreciate this style of flushing after using the normal style toilets, I ask that you extend the same courtesy after completing urination. I think that you think that because what you leave is only a liquid, it flows down the drain. You are incorrect. And we are not lucky enough to have those cake things in our urinal to combat the smell. As a result, the leftovers from your number one leave a strong to quite strong odor that makes me sick. Let it be known that I know who you are, because I have attended the restroom with you and witnessed this disregard for the silver lever atop the receiving device. I would hate to have to start taking a leak in your cubicle, but I will consider such retribution if your habits do not change.

Regards,
Brian

6 comments:

Mike said...

This is also a common problem here at UMD. In general I think people are less grossed out by urine. You would never take a dump in the shower, in the bushes or in an alley, but you would likely urinate in all three of those places. Also, many people are grossed out about touching the flush lever, which has previously been touched by hands that were only seconds ago holding a dong. It's not like you can kick the lever like a regular public toilet. I think in a lot of cases the handle gross out trumps the urine/urine smell gross out and that leads to no flushing.

My personal practice is probably 60% flush/40% no flush and the determining factor is always the cleanliness of the bathroom.

Brian said...

i understand your concern and reasons for not flushing, but this situation can be avoided all together by washing your hands after flushing.

in a bar or out somewhere, i might not flush. but at work, i flush and dont think its too much to ask for others to do the same.

Mike said...

Agreed, and the UMD bathrooms are clean enough that they fall in the 60% anyway.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I am not offended by a tiny amount of urine remaining in a urinal. After all, if urine cannot exercise its God-given right to self-existence in a urinal, where can it?

Anonymous said...

At least you don't have the problem I have at work...

For the past several weeks, every time I go in to use the bathroom, there's been a pool of fresh urine on the floor. I originally chalked it up to bad plumbing, but a sign was recently posted by the management asking everyone to aim better. Well, we had a happy hour on Friday and I got the inside scoop:

We recently had a sexual harrasment episode at our office, the result of which required everyone in the office to go through sexual harrassment training. So now that we had the training, everyone is super sensitive about what they say to each other. It hadn't been much of an issue until a couple weeks ago when one of our drafters decided to ask a male coworker (who is dating a fellow female coworker) if he was "tapping that" yet. Unfortunately for the drafter, the female coworker was in ear shot and the incident was immediately reported. The drafter is now worried about being hung out as an example, so instead of cleaning up his act has decided that leaking on the bathroom floor is the best way to retaliate. It's a real "sticky" situation.

On a lighter note, I find it funny that the 'Ads by Google' on your blog has an add for:

-Female Pubic Hair Style-
Stylish Color For Hair Down There Gray?
No Way! Get Your Betty Ready.

Eric said...

I still think the people who go #2 and don't flush are much worse than the non-urinal flushers, but that is still pretty bad.