Tuesday, October 10, 2006

New TV Season

I can't believe I just wrote this...

------------------------

It’s no secret that I watch reality TV. Many of my favorite shows are reality shows. In celebration of the start of the new season on network TV, and because of my interest in reality shows, I decided that I want to write my opinion of ABC’s The Bachelor. I will assume that you, as the reader, are familiar with the show and so I will jump right in to my thoughts.

I enjoyed the first episode, in particular the segment where the ladies are first introduced to Lorenzo Borghese, this season’s bachelor. The ladies are all hot and bothered because LoBor (or sometimes just Lobo) is some kind of Italian prince. My initial thought about him is that he is a fairly reasonable guy. He seems to know what’s up, in terms of these reality dating shows. I think he is not trying to go the elimidate route, which is good for the show. While those slimy make-out-with-as-many girls as possible shows are sometimes entertaining, they are only inches away from Jerry Springer. So he seems (at least thus far) to be fairly conservative about getting close with the girls. He could have easily already gotten on 6 of the 8 remaining girls.

Anyways, the success of the season is pretty much controlled by the girls they bring in. I thought right out of the gate they were on the right track. The first girl introduced, Lisa, was my favorite from start to last. She was my favorite because she was passed by the very last girl introduced, Sadie.

On the first night LoBor had to say goodbye to about half of the girls. I am sure he was overwhelmed and thought it was difficult, but to me it seems easy. With so many different girls, it would seem to me that you would be looking for reasons to send girls home, not keep them. If someone is annoying, just send them home.

Right from the start LoBor was feeling Lisa. They shared a moment while they had a conversation away from the rest of the girls and she was in. I was somewhat annoyed by the whole ‘tree hugger’ episode, but what can you do. It’s a TV show, and there are cameras all around. As if the situation of 30 girls all trying to get 1 guy to like them in 8 hours isn’t strange enough, then throw them in front of a camera, and you can only expect so much. I have a feeling that if they shoot all the girls for the entire night, then only show the viewer a few seconds of video, they can pretty much dictate how certain people are portrayed. And I can’t blame them for doing this, as ABC’s is probably far more concerned with ratings than they are with LoBo falling in love.

So Lisa was in, and so I was only concerned with Sadie getting to the next round. Not surprisingly, she needed little effort to not go home as there were plenty of other crazy/annoying/ugly girls who had no chance of staying around. The only problem I have with the rose ceremony is that I often think he is advised or assisted with his choices. LoBo still has not eliminated Erica. I do not want to devote much more than a sentence to talking about her, but pretty much she very spoiled and so annoying. I can’t imagine that he actually is interested in her. And its like contradictory. They show clips of them totally having awkward moments and not getting along at all and he selects her for the next round. I am pretty sure this is strictly for TV. Kind of like how at least one minority always makes it into the second round even if the contestant has no interest in the girl.

I wasn’t until the second round that Sadie really stepped it up. She was on a group date and she stood out enough to get a rose before the rose ceremony. It was later revealed that she is saving herself for marriage. The other girls were making fun of her but I think that actually helps her chances. In my opinion it seems that LoBor has already narrowed it down to the three girls who got a rose prior to the ceremony. And I can’t blame him. I would have been kind of disappointed if I were him. I think he will be happy once he settles on Sadie, but overall if I were responsible for selecting 30 of the hottest, smartest, most fun, successful girls, I would like to think I could assemble a slightly better group than LoBor was given.

This entry is getting wordy and I still never made it to my commentary on all the girls. So here are a few of my other comments about this season and the contestants:

Desiree- Pretty hot, is very interested in having fun, baby. She adds baby to the end of every phrase that she says, baby. She would be fun to be friends with, but hanging out with her all the time would probably not be fun, baby. Also she seems incapable of being serious, baby.

Ellen- I am glad she went home. I never really like her (other than when she did the chicken wing during that bedroom dance party) and was annoyed with how she tried to call out Lisa. It made he look pretty pathetic and like a witch with a b.

Jeanette-she is really young and not bad looking and also a teacher. Her stock went up when they went to the beach (then again she is 23 and one of the younger contestants.) She doesn’t get much time on camera, and her face reminds me of Mandy Moore at times.

Jami- blonde from Texas. Hasn’t stood out to me but hasn’t been as bad as some of the others so she gets the rose by default.

Gina- is an ultrasound technician. I think that’s an interested job, and I am sort of curious why she chose to be called that. I would imagine that she could have called herself something more general, like physicians assistant or something like that. I was glad she got a rose, only because I disliked a few people more than her.

Agnese- it’s funny that she is still around because she doesn’t speak English. I feel fairly certain that the producers just walked around Rome for an hour before the show and asked her to be on it because she was hot. And it has worked for the most part. She has outlasted most of the other girls without actually being able to talk to LoBo very much. She is pretty hot though, and also he won’t feel bad about letting her go later on.

Erica- wishes she was Paris Hilton, thinks she is as hot as Charlize Theron and as cool as Brad Pitt in Oceans 11. She is a socialite, and I think her family is very rich. She claimed that her flight to Rome was the first time she flew coach in an airplane.

Kim- passed out from drinking 2 days in a row. Sure she was at the beach in the sun all day long. And maybe she was drinking. But so was everyone else… didn’t she know that her chances of sticking around would be greatly increased if she actually showed some interest in the bachelor? Despite her claims, has to be embarrassed with her showing.

Sarah- she dominated when they played football, but I think her courtesy rose in the first round was because she was the only minority in the group (and she was from Canada!) I did like her and wouldn’t have minded if she stuck around, but LoBor didn’t ever seem too interested.

Rosella- she was eliminated in the first round and I was pumped. She kept saying how it was destiny to be there and she was convinced she was going to win. She claimed to have sold her car to raise money to fund a new wardrobe for the trip and that turned out to be a major dagger since she was only in Rome for 8 hours. She just annoyed me for some reason. I also heard she had a kid, but I cant remember where I heard that.

9 comments:

Eric said...

It's definitely rigged for TV I think. I only saw the first episode but of the 12 girls LoBo picked I thought half of them were awful choices that seem a little out of character with the way he seemed the whole episode.

Anonymous said...

Oh man. I could go on for hours. I can't believe you didn't mention the fact that socialite plans to hire one of the girls to clean her room. Absolutely ridiculous. She says that she can't relate to the girls without a college education which is absurd because what is she doing with hers? Some of the smartest people I know are college degree-less and contrary to what Erica believes they do not converse with others by using a series of animal like grunts - they can actually communicate. I can only hope that when she watches the show she realizes what a bitch she is and changes her ways. As my sister and I would say, "pluck." Don't ya wish you could just "pluck" all of the worlds assholes, annoying people and those who wear ruffle skirts and tanktops that reveal their bra straps off the earth? They would spend the remainder of their life just orbiting around watching all of us normal folk.

Oh and I liked Lisa the first episode but her stock diminished considerably in the last round. Ellen calling her out was completely warranted.

Oh and I have never seen a bachelor grimmance the way "LoBo" did when he chose Erica. The show is rigged.

-Amanda

Brian said...

even if you thought lisa was being not cool the last round with her comments, i still dont think ellen saying anything helps her. it makes her look especially bitchy and what does it gain? it is just more drama. girls will be girls. by their nature they dont like one another or get along, in particular when they like the same guy. perhaps amanda lisas stock went down but i hated that ellen brought it up. and i especially hated how she did it and how it went. i am just wondering what is to gain by doing that?

'i am calling you out. you said we were talking trash about you and we werent...' ok, now what? lisa is still with LoBo and jealous bitter ellen who already was on thin ice is new certainly going home. that was my opinion on that series of events anyways. not to mention, whether they showed it or not, you KNOW that every girl was super jealous of Lisa and that they were talking trash about her. i am 100% sure that was happening and thats why lisa would say such a comment. its unrealistic to think that nobody was bitter/jearlous of her or had been talking crap about the 'top ranked' girl.

so for those reasons, and because she hadnt done anything, i was glad to see ellen go home.

Brian said...

ps i also do not like erica and she is [dont even say it] booty!

Anonymous said...

Ok...mabye Ellen shouldn't have said something but Lisa definately should NOT have said something in front of LoBo. Everyone knows that talking about people TO the Bachelor is the show's cardinal sin.

-Amanda

Mike said...

shit, giggles and because the producers said so to get higher ratings.

Twisted Sister? said...

So.........I'm not the only reality TV buff around huh? Great minds think alike because I totally had Sadie picked out for him after the first episode and if he doesn't see what we do then he deserves what he gets. ;)

Twisted Sister? said...

BTW........That Erica chick is a total weirdo freak. It's actually scary!

Wendy said...

i can't believe i just read that entire blog. i'm so disappointed in myself