Wednesday, November 22, 2006

self blog commentary

I was thinking about my blogging style and I realized I don't use many links like other bloggers. I probably could try and start mixing in a few. But also by including links there is a chance I will provide my readers with a really awesome link and I will lose their attention. Although I suppose this isn't entirely a bad thing because then they might check back on my blog and look for me in the future to provide enjoyable links.

One other thing I was thinking about was 1 space vs. 2 at the end of a sentence. Which do you do? I grew up assuming/using 2 spaces after a period. But I went to college with a guy who had never heard of such a thing. And since that time I have been mostly going single style. But from time to time I do switch from using a single strike of the space bar to pressing it twice. I feel like the internet, and IM and email, are to blame. The informality with which I grew accustom to writing in these mediums caused me to forget about things like capital letters and putting two spaces after a sentence. In this blog I have tried to obey the basic rules of grammar so as not to offend any of my readers [in particular those who are professional writers.]

Side note after making this post I noticed that blogger decides for you. whether i put one or two spaces it shows up the same. and if you copy and paste the text from my blog (something that I am sure happens all the time) you get something with only one space. The more I think about it, i could look it up and see what is actually correct. But I won't, I will just continue soul searching through the grammatical jungle, forever pondering which path is the rightous one. (who loves taking a meaningless sentence and jazzing it up to try and sound so real... this guy!)

-----
Updated: I just noticed that one of the ads on my page was for removing hair on your privates. I am not sure why it was there. I supposed the ads are supposed to be based on the content of the blog, but I am not sure I understand that one. I am tempted to click on it just to see what it is all about, but then I will be letting the advertisers win. So I am not going to check it out. Not to mention if I think really hard, I can probably think of a way to remove hair from my body without visiting that website. For those who are curious, here is the link. Normally I would encourage you to visit my sponsors (I think I have earned a few cents over the past few months) but this time I suggest you use my link.

5 comments:

Eric said...

I always use two spaces. Oh and I am also a huge fan of completely over-dramatizing a sentence for effect. In fact I was just trying to think of one right now. I got nothin'.

Anonymous said...

I think about that two space thing all the time. I feel like there are a lot of folks out there that weren't taught the two space rule. I agree that typing emails and ims has made our grammar a bit lax. However, since we went to elementary school back in the day of Telly the Turtle and green monochrome monitors, we at least have a little bit of experience with the way things are supposed to be. Kids growing up now-a-days are really screwed. I hear they aren't even making some kids learn cursive anymore. I used to LOVE spending the entire day copying some long story from the chalkboard on to our newsprint paper that was lined in such a way to ensure proper upper and lower case character height. I don't know if this post really addresses the "self blog commentary" but it brought back some memories.

I think I'll go be a banker now and hit the Oregon Trail. Hopefully I won't be striken with typhoid. Let's go oxen, it's time to forge the river.

Mike said...

I only really link if it's essential to the point/joke that I'm trying to make. Or sometimes, even if it helps the story.

I was also taught the 2 space method and always use it. If a place like blogger wants to change it to 1 space to save space on the page that's fine, but I'm pretty certain 2 spaces is the correct way.

Anonymous said...

i also learned the two space rule in middle school and high school, but in college i learned you should only use one space after periods. i think it was during my internship actually. my boss told me that software today automatically adjusts for the space after a period. two spaces were only necessary when people used typewriters.

now if you really really want two spaces after your periods in your blog try typing & n b s p ; after the space you put after the period, but with no spaces.

Anonymous said...

I think it was when I was in HoCo schools that I learned the two-space rule, too. Then in college my notions of word processing were shattered one day when I was told it should be one space only.

I think Megan is probably right (or "not wrong" in the context of this blog) about the evolution and increased sophistication of software at the root of the 1 vs. 2 space controversy.

My family's first printer was the type where the paper was reeled out on little pegs (easily jammed) and then we had to remove the perforated edges. I'm sure there's a name for this, but I can't think of it.

ps bri- No reason to fear judgement from professional writers. You'd be amazed how sloppy some journos are ... that's what editors are for. ;)