Monday, January 15, 2007

Oh Patriots, I love you

Obviously I was pumped when the Pats pulled out the W yesterday, in a game I honestly thought they would have a hard time winning. In any case, I was reading about LT going nuts after the game. Apparently some Patriot player did the Merriman dance at midfield which pissed off the Chargers, in particular, LT.

Here is a quote from Merriman regarding the celebration, "It was upsetting to see because they won three Super Bowls"

I think that is funny. I dont know Shawne Merriman, but that is not a smart sounding thing to say. To me, it means that he is basically saying he would have done the same thing and it would have been ok, because his team has not had the success of the Patriots. That makes no sense. Probably the players could have celebrated in a better way, that wouldnt have bothered the Chargers so much. And I believe LT when he says he would never do something like that. He would also never warm up wearing a jersey that said "Ocho Cinco" or would have promise a victory, or would he celebrate much after setting the single season scoring record.

And the Pats are my favorite team so maybe my opinion shouldnt count. But this is football (and you got caught using steroids!) Suddenly outrageous celebration is a bad thing? Merriman does the spaz dance after a single sack and suddenly after an underdog team defeats the number 1 seed on the road it isnt a time to celebrate? It annoys me that he said that. I am quite sure Merriman talks plenty of smack all the time. And I am not defending the way the Patriots celebrated, I am just saying get over it. The Patriots are celebrating that way for the same reason the Chargers players are mad. It was a very close, emotional, intense game, that both teams wanted to win.

Here is what my favorite Charger player (P Rivers) said about it, "They won and they deserve a lot of credit. Personally I was disappointed in the way they handled winning. They're playing next week and we're not." He will just learn from the game, and use it to improve and as motivation.

I suppose I am just saying the Chargers are being a bit hypocritical, they are expecting the Pats to be good winners, and meanwhile they are being sore losers (and implying they would be bad winners also, but they are for some reason entitled to it.)

4 comments:

Mike said...

I agree that it is petty to get mad over that, especially since I generally enjoy football celebrations. If SD had won and did some goofy dance it wouldn't have bothered me, so I have nothing against the Pats display. Maybe that is rubbing it in a little, but they are just happy and there are players on every NFL team that would do the same.

As far as Merriman goes, if he can do a stupid dance why can't the Pats do it? It's not like he patented it. For Rivers and Tomlinson, they don't celebrate wildly and probably wouldn't have gone over the top if they were in the Pats situation, but if they have a problem with the Pats celebration then they should be just as offended by what Merriman does on every play. So, yes, they are being hypocritical.

I probably just repeated your feelings but in different words, but since I'm not a Pat's fan it's not biased.

Brian said...

yes, i think we agree. and i brought it up because its perhaps ironic that they are not showing class while complaining about their opponents lack of class.

you jerk, you celebrated too much... i want to fight you! sweet logic. maybe they should worry about hanging on the ball and winning games more than celebrations for and against their team.

Brian said...

and to clarify, i was saying P Rivers handled it in a classy manner. He is money. However, I do not think that was the case for many of the other SD players.

Unknown said...

This is such a joke. A known steroid user openly mocks the other team every time he makes a good play, but he's not allowed to be mocked when he gets beat? Please.

I don't remember the Ravens bitching when TO did the Ray Lewis dance after he scored a TD against them last year. They probably didn't like it, but they at least had the sense not to openly complain about it.

This isn't the first bit of bad blood between these teams. Last year, after the Charges waxed the Pats in the regular season, Marty Schottenheimer made some comments about the Pats' "body language" on the opposing sideline. He then said something that, while not intended to be derogatory, came across as "Your coach doesn't do a very good job preparing you guys." Brady (rightfully) got pissed and at the press conference the nxt day fired back something like, "Maybe he should talk about this team."