Monday, January 15, 2007

I want candy

This is reminds me of Erics post a few months ago... Last week there was a box that contained 36 3 Musketeers bars. It was placed on a shelf at my desk on Thursday morning. At the end of the day, there were approximately 27 candy bars remaining (the pack contains 3 levels of 12 bars, and there were more than 2 full rows so I know there was more than 24.) On Friday, I was in the office only for about 45 minutes. I then left for 2 meetings and then went straight home. I returned to work this morning and there are exactly zero candy bars remaining. I am shocked. How can this happen? I know of about 5 or 6 other people who were also out of the office or on vacation or something on Friday. There might be 50 or more people who work in this office, but in any given day there are usually only around 40 people here. Last Friday I would estimate there were less than that, probably closer to 30. And somehow more than 25 candy bars were eaten. And these aren’t small candy bars, they are full size.

Honestly I am not at all surprised. It seems like anytime there is anything free around here it doesn’t last long. It is sort of annoying, although I really have no right to be upset. They weren’t even my candy bars (well they sort of were since another guy brought them in and gave them to me, but his intention was to take them to work to get rid of them, not to give me a personal gift…which is why I put them out for the taking.) I think the reason it bothers me is because I can imagine how people were scheming. I don’t mind at all the people who I am friends with eating them. I just feel like word got around spread like wildfire, and suddenly people were calling home to ask their kids if they want a delicious 3 Musketeers bar. And I think it bothers me since I wasn’t here. Yet I doubt it if anyone asked. They probably just walked buy and jacked one. I am calling it stealing because they are clearly in my desk area. I wish I had a hidden camera.

I am considering sending out an office wide email asking anyone who stole one of my candy bars to please bring me 65 cents. Or I could get another box and do something to them (I thought of many ways to do this but will leave it up to your imagination) then leave the bars out and never mention them. See who comes by and takes one without asking, then in a day or two leave a picture or some proof of me messing with them. [there still warm... i think i've had these before...]

PS you know you recognize (and love) the title of this post!

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Free food never lasts long. I work in an office where an entire square foot box of baklava can get housed in a day. Did I mention that there are only 7 people in my office tops?

Eric said...

JW, you do have Mike in your office, he counts for at least 3 people when it comes to eating.

I definitely ate a candy bar, but only after getting confirmation that they were from Ed and he was trying to get rid of them. In fact I didn't believe the person who told me this, because he would lie about that, but then I asked Ed personally and he confirmed. But I took one around 3:30 and there were definitely at least 15 left at that point. Which means that in the last hour of work on a Friday 15 candy bars were housed, which definitely leads to the conclusion that someone, noticing most of the office was gone for the weekend, thought they were being sneaky and took the rest.

Mike said...

Whoa now, I've seriously curbed my eating habits in the last 18 months (although that baklava that JWT was talking about is delicious, so that is a bad example, other stuff moves much slower). If somebody brings something in I'll try it, but won't house it - sometimes I won't even have my share.

JWT often brings stuff in to get rid of it (aka so she won't eat it), but my guess is that my low rate of consumption doesn't do the trick by itself.

Just defending my slightly-less-fat ass.

Wendy said...

or as i like to say, fat as

Mike said...

what?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I ate a few that day. I talked to you and got the story from Old School. We talked about it for a little then i grabed one and walked away. But when you were gone i couldn't help myself. I probably ate about 9 or 10