Friday, October 20, 2006

slacker

long time, no post. and i wish my first post in nearly a week was better than this. but it is not. oh well, here goes:

Something that annoys me so much: the sixth floor workers in my building. The building that I work in has 19 floors of businesses. This does not include the 6 or 7 floors of garage parking that is above the lobby and below the 19 floors of businesses. In the lobby there is a separate elevator that goes only to the garage. There are also 2 sets of elevators. I am not an architect or a planner, but if it were up to me I would have set up the elevators different than how they currently operate.

The first set of elevators are marked Floors 1-6. The other set of elevators are marked 7-19. Since I work on the 17th floor, I take the second set of elevators. I think I might understand the logic, but I don’t think the operators are set up in an ideal fashion. Basically, there are equal elevator services for the first 6 floors of businesses as there are for the other 11 floors. I am thinking that if you include approximately 7 floors of parking garage, that makes 26 total floors in the building. And it would also mean that the lower elevators actually service the lower half of the building. So in theory, I can sort of understand why they are set up the way they are. But that is me hypothesizing why they are set up wrong. Even if I am correct, that doesn’t provide any satisfaction because they are still wrong. And this is not really a correctable problem.

Anyways, back to the annoying part. Yes, there is something much more annoying than the set up of the elevators. The higher elevators that I ride, which are marked 7-19 floors, actually service the 6th floor. The sign doesn’t indicate it, but it does. So those jerks on the 6th floor ride our elevators. And I know why they do it. They like express service. When they ride the upper elevators they are guaranteed to have a direct route to the lobby. It just seems so discourteous to me, instead of sucking it up and riding the elevators that they are directed to ride, stopping a maximum of 5 times, they ride the upper elevators and ensure everyone else is delayed by 20 seconds. I don’t think they think about those of us who have to ride to the 17th floor. We have like 10 potential stops and we probably average 3 stops per ride.

One day I want to get the courage to say something to those jerks on our elevator. I have heard stories of a guy who called the female rider from the sixth floor an insulting phrase as the door closed behind her, but I have never done anything like that myself. I think when I do, its going to be something like “you know every person in this building on floors 7-19 hates you, right?” I want to engage them in a conversation and I want them, at some point in the convo, to say “I don’t want to have to stop.” At that point I am going to make some rude remark about how annoying it is to make extra stops. I realize my master plan is nothing special and I know that our building isn’t some skyscraper. And it probably seems like not a big deal, but I think I speak for all employees above the 6th floor when I say that it really makes me mad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I waited all week for that? Where is the bachelor recap? I want to talk about that crazy tree hugger girl you like.