Thursday, October 12, 2006

More Blog Lists

I decided I wanted to identify my top 5 favorite candy. I love candy and eat it all the time. You will probably notice that my top choices are not the chocolate variety. In any case here it is:

5- Cowtails
4- Take 5
3- Twizzlers Nibs
2- Nerd Rope (and just nerds in general)
1- Spree

Honorable Mention: Twix, Caramello, Junior Mints, Shockers (formerly Shock Tarts), Sweet Tarts, Reces Pieces, Fast Break

Cowtails are good for a variety of reasons, the most important being taste. They are pretty much a fresh tiny roll of caramel creams, but not sliced up. They are fun to eat due to shape and almost guaranteed freshness which assures the eater a nice soft chewing experience. I am not the biggest fan of caramel, but for some reason I cant stop eating cowtails.

Take 5 are relatively new on the candy bar scene, so perhaps I am going out on a limb to put them in my all time top 5. But how can you not? They are absolutely delicious. Hersheys took all the 4 best candy bar ingredients (peanut butter, caramel, chocolate, peanuts) and added pretzels and was left with the best candy bar around.

Twizzlers Nibs are not to be confused with Twizzlers Bites. The bites have hollow tubes lenthwise and are a little bit bigger. They taste similiar but not quite the same. Nibs used to be its own brand i think, but maybe it was taken over by Twizzlers or something... You often can only find these Nibs in the small pack or the medium sized ($1.39) pack. The big pound bag of cherry flavored bites are good, but not as good as the Nib variety.

Nerd Ropes are made with a gummy type piece of chewy candy that is coated with Nerds, which I love even by themselves. They are just little tiny pieces of sugar but I love them. I often eat the big boxes of them at work, and have considered separating the big nerds from the small ones and selling them on ebay. How much do you think someone would pay for a box full of giant sized Nerds? I like to bite off the biggest nerds from the rope, so i can enjoy them by themselves. Then I let the small ones do their job of adding flavor and texture to the rope when I gobble it up. So good, i think I am going to go eat one now.

Spree are my all-time favorite candy. I eat them all the time and I never get tired of them. I would estimate that I could eat an entire roll of Spree in under a minute. The best part is the texture, which might seem odd of an apparent 'hard candy.' But anyone who has experienced the treat knows that you should not judge a book by its cover. The candy coating isnt nearly as difficult to break as you would think. Chewy Spree are also good, but nearly as good as the original. Plus after a few packs in a row, the tangy-ness of the chewy ones kind of gets to you. They are sold in the standard roll, the movie theatre box, the mid sized bag and also in rolls, kind of like smarties. I think I most prefer the old school style of the rolls, although the big boxes are a delcious way to watch any movie.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

chuck zoi said...

Nerd rope and Spree are such a solid 1-2. They're slightly obscure so I wouldn't have thought of them if I was going to come up with my own top 5, but with your prompt, my top 5 would definitely include those 2, as well as Twix, the original Skittles, and Whoppers.

Mike said...

My top 5 (in no particular order): Spree, Sweetarts, Butterfingers, Reese's Pieces, Nutrageous (not sure if this is even still around but it's the best chocolate bar ever made). 8 years ago smarties would have been number one, but I can't remember the last time I had them, I guess I sort of out grew them, not sure why.

Anonymous said...

Luke introduced me to Take 5 and they are consistently in the vending machine at my office. This makes me happy because they are ingeniously delicious.

chuck zoi said...

I just tried my first Take 5, from my leftover Halloween handout stash. Pretty damn good.