Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Updated: Is it just me

I have heard other people do this, and its appropriate that I was reminded of it in a post regarding grammar/pronounciation errors. The phrase is "might as well." I have seen others write minus well. I dont know for sure, but i think this is wrong. Has anyone else ever seen this? If so, are people using it as a shorter way of typing something? Like lol? Thats the only thing i can think of because I dont think that minus well means the same thing as "might as well." I understand that when dictated its nearly the same, but it's not a contraction. Thoughts?

The only thing I can find on the internet is this.

5 comments:

Mike said...

I've never seen that, but it reminded me of another one. "Play it by year" and opposed to "play it by ear". I'm pretty sure that the second one is the correct one and I always saw it as a reference to composing music as you play it and hear it for the first time yourself (instead of composing it on paper first).

Since I'm a chemistry nerd, not an English nerd, I'm not 100% positive I'm right on this. If the first one is in fact correct then might I say that a year is a long time to play things by. I'd rather take play things on a minute-to-minute or a day-to-day basis.

Brian said...

unless maybe you were watching a highlight DVD of the Patriots since 2000. Then you might want to play it by year...

Anonymous said...

That is one of those things that I always have to think about before I type in an email or even say. There are other examples of this in every day speak but I can't think of them at the moment.

Perhaps this was a pointless post.

-Amanda

Anonymous said...

Ugh. As a writer nerd, I echo your frustration on that one. "Minus well" doesn't make sense.

i.e. "I had such a bad day at work, I minus well quit." Huh? Maybe you're right, you "might as well quit."

Let's see...they come up all the time, but now I can't think of any like Amanda said!

Oh, here's one: "try and" vs. "try to"

"Try and" separates the subject's actions into independent actions instead of "try to," which correctly points out that the effort of trying is applied to the latter goal.

i.e. "I am going to try and get elected to office."
No, no, my friend, you are going to "try to get elected to office."

Ok, just one more--backwards isn't a word. It's backward.

Ok, I'll shut up now. ;)

Brian said...

i love when professional writers contribute to my blog!