Wednesday, September 06, 2006

dunkin donuts review

i want to take a second to provide an evaluation of a product that has a catchy jingle. lunch is over... dinner seems so very far away [i might have gotten it wrong, it doesnt matter.] anyways, based on that song, and my love for blended fruit beverages , i strolled into DD after lunch a few weeks ago. it is less than a block away right outside my building. and i have always been satisfied with all of the other food choices i have had at DD so i figured why not. big mistake.

my favorite part of smoothies is the fruit combined with the blended ice. it can be a healthy refreshing delicious treat. i must confess that while smoothies are my favorite, i also very much enjoy Icee's and have been know to sip on other forms of slurpies aswell. so anyways, at double D they have three flavor options. i dont recall them exactly, but i think it was something like strawberry banana, berry, and mango. i might have made those up, but it doesnt matter. i order the strawberry banana (aka the jamaican jammer) and because it was 100 degrees outside and i was especially thirsty, i went nuts and ordered a large.

i didnt actually ask for a large. the lady taking my order mumbled something after i indicated my choice of flavor to which she responded with a mumble. i couldnt really tell what she was asking but i confess i did say yes and my guess was that she probably asked if i wanted a large. so i get a large. you'd of thought i was at seven11 because i got a gigaGulp. i see the lady grab the keg looking container and haul it towards the back of the store. she does that and scoops some red looking syrup stuff into my barrel. it looked like the fruit toppings you can get at TCBY [which i love]. but it is far from real fruit. it is actual fruit pieces but drenched in a really sweet thick juice. its good in a parfait, but not as the basis for a smoothie. so after the lady has placed this stuff into the cup, she moves right and places my treat under the ice cream machine. turns out its actually yogurt, but you get the point. now the fun part. she blends it. what?

she brings me my smoothie and i taste it. just as i thought, it tastes like what i imagine a gogurt or other kids flavored yogurt would taste like. its sweet, but almost burns your throat when you eat it because of that tangy fake fruit flavor. and there very little evidence of actual fruit pieces. and the top half of it is all runny and the bottom half is like a melted milkshake made with frozen yogurt and sans milk. and i have 63.5 more ounces to go. oh, and it was like $5.00.

i cant say it was the worst thing i have ever had, but given my expectations it was quite disappointing. i was so motivated i actually wrote DD an email and they told me they would send me a refund in the form of gift certificates. i was happy with this solution. i enjoy DD and will go back, i will just be sure not to get another smoothie. i guess i was wrong to assume that all smoothies have ice.

i could not think of anything to write about, then while watching teh redsox game i saw a DD ad and i thought i would write about my smoothie experience. it didnt turn out nearly as well as i had hoped. i waited almost a week to post and then wrote this. [gulp]

--------------------UPDATE-------------------------

I read today in the Washington Post that DD plans to add 325 stores in Washington and Baltimore. I think this is a good idea, as I myself am a little tired of seeing Starbucks dominate. I have seen a few Caribbou' s pop up and have heard good things. I can't provide much of a product comparison because I have only tasted coffee once. I have had chai latte's on multiple occasions but i wouldnt notice a difference from one place to the other. As a non-coffee drinker, i am excited for more DD's because I really enjoy their breakfast choices.

I am sure you have heard others echo my complaint about Starbucks. And that is the stupid names for the sizes. Grande (which means big i am pretty sure) is their code word for small. then tall is medium. I forgot what large is but its super annoying. what is the point in changing the names. multiple times i have been in there and ordered something and said small, medium, or large and i was corrected. it went something like this:

Me: can i get a medium chai latte?
Them: you mean a tall?
Me: is that medium?
Them: no its tall
Me: what does tall mean? i dont want something super tall. I dont want the smallest option and I dont want the biggest. i want the medium size.
Them: we have grande, tall and [insert frustrating name that i cant recall here].
Me: is grande the biggest or smallest?
Them: its shorter than tall and less grande than [annoying name]
Me: so grande, which means big, is the smallest?
Them: well its grande.

Why is it cool to take three sizes of the same thing and give them independant names? i thought names for sizes should reflect their relative size towards each other. i feel like maybe when starbucks made those sizes they didnt know they would own the entire country a few years later. i feel like perhaps they made the sizes to have some character. then they got popular but had to stick with it. plus anyone who likes coffee doesnt seem to mind, its like they want to be part of the cool people. then you have haters like me think its totally pointless. additionally, they are losing potential customers. not only do i think its meaningless and frustrating, it makes me not want to order beverages from them for fear of embaressment and also of having the same conversation that i described above.

I need to check out DD's drink menu one of these days to make sure they didnt fall into the coffee size lingo trap. I will be pissed if they start calling their 3 sizes gigantic, voluminous, and astronomical. Although, having consumed the worlds largest [not that] smoothie I think those names might be appropriate.

16 comments:

Eric said...

I also embarked on this smoothie trip. I got mixed berry. It sucked.

Mike said...

I don't read donut shop reviews in blogs. Sorry.

Mike said...

Just kidding. My experience with those smoothies went something like this. (Earlier this summer in CT)

My sister: You ever had one of those things they're not really that good. But get it if you want it.

Me: No thanks. Despite your recommendation I think I'll pass.

Brian said...

your second post cracked me up.

Wendy said...

The Washington Post wrote an article about how DD was going to throw down against Starbucks and start opening a bunch of places in the DC area. IT'S A DREAM COME TRUE!

Brian said...

yeah, i saw that. i wish smoothie king would do the same

Eric said...

There are not nearly enough Smoothie Kings. Or Jamba Juices for that matter

Anonymous said...

Cuz 2 things real quick:

1) Living in the Fat Ass Capital City of the world which happens to be Philadelphia, there is a DD on every corner. It kind of repulses me and I think their coffee stinks. I do indulge in a delicious chocolate glazed donut every once in a while but for the most part, DD is no good. Sorry, just my opinion.

2) I'm a Starbucks snob (sort of...typical, you would, etc.) and it's actually Tall, Grande, and Venti for Small, Medium, and Large respectively.

Anonymous said...

Cuz 2 things real quick:

1) Living in the Fat Ass Capital City of the world which happens to be Philadelphia, there is a DD on every corner. It kind of repulses me and I think their coffee stinks. I do indulge in a delicious chocolate glazed donut every once in a while but for the most part, DD is no good. Sorry, just my opinion.

2) I'm a Starbucks snob (sort of...typical, you would, etc.) and it's actually Tall, Grande, and Venti for Small, Medium, and Large respectively.

Brian said...

but i wonder if its different for you because you being more in the northest, you had DD on every corner. so i might see more reason to appreciate star-b's.

as opposed to here where people embraced SB's. now there might be another option... i dont know

perhaps this discussion would be better if i drank coffee...

Eric said...

Starbuck is pretty dumb. It's like, why don't they call it petite,lilliputian, and diminutive or huge, colossal, and mammoth. Basically they're just arbitrary names meaning small, medium, and large. I think venti means either 20 or wind in Italian. How could that possibly mean small? And have you every described a medium sized person as tall? Me either. The super annoying thing is that I know quite a few people who never drink coffee, don't particularly enjoy it but LOVE Starbucks and won't get whatever venti half caf latte poop flavored soy choca thing anywhere else. It's one thing if you're an avid coffee drinker and you just think starbucks coffee is better, i can understand that, but i think an awful lot of people just drink starbucks because its cool to be a starbucks lover.

Wendy said...

I drink starbucks, and it's not cool. Seriously, it was really bad there. I was in the habbit of going there every single day. One day, I dropped my coffee, and I almost started to cry. Luckily, the people inside knew me, and my drink order, and they had another one waiting for me when I got in. Oh, and being as I"m poor, I really wasn't able to afford the 25.76 that was spent each week. (wendy, how the hell do you spend 25.75 a week at starbucks? venti skim late (hot or iced depending on the weather) down here is 3.68 a pop). I considered a 12 program to quit, then I just stoped being lazy and bought a coffee maker, which still brews starbucks, however, still cheaper.

damn, now I want coffee

Mike said...

I think DD coffee are solid and Starbucks is snobbish and rediculous with their size thing, but I'll still hit it up every once in a while. Usually only if I'm with someone who enjoys it much more than I do.

DD coffee is my go to. It's standard coffee, but I think it's the best you can buy (sorry Brian D.) plus it's under $2.

Though, I did hear that they are going to change their sizes to sub-light, light, ridiculous, and ludicrous. After that, they won't be able to stop. It'll be too dangerous.

Anonymous said...

Pomfret, I get normal style coffee at Starbucks and it is the exact same price DD charges, under $2.

Mack, in my native tongue, Venti means twenty (you are right) because the large size it represents is a 20 oz. cup of coffee. Makes sense to me.

Mike said...

I see, I never really knew starbuck had "regular" coffee. I'll have to try it out and make a more informed decision on DD being best

Anonymous said...

From the perspective of someone who's been a coffee snob since, oh, the 7th grade (not necessarily proud of that) and a former resident of the Aloha State, I'd have to weigh in and say starbucks and DD are a-ight. But if you want really good coffee and to save money, brew your own Kona coffee at home. (avoid the blend, get the pure stuff)

On a side note, my hats off to anyone with the intestinal fortitude to conquer a 20-oz. Venti coffee.

...just my 2 cents