Tuesday, December 26, 2006

oh flying...

Last night at the airport, I saw something that I hadnt seen before. At the security checkpoint, they had this air shooter machine. When instructed, I stepped into this human car-wash chamber. I remained still and then several intense bursts of air hit me quickly from every angle. After a few seconds, the light turned green and the clear doors opened. Then I walked through the metal detectors and waited for my carry on bag.

As a fairly experienced traveler, I had minimized my chance of having any holdup at security. I was wearing only jeans and a t-shirt, and everything on my person had been removed and put into my backpack while I was waiting in line. Taking off my belt, long sleeved shirt, hat, and removing everything from my pockets was a bit of a hassle, but far from the trouble that goes along with the personal body search. I took away any and all potential reasons for setting off any alarm.

However, the same was not true for my fellow airplane riders. The people in front of me had clearly not ridden a plane since 9/11. Everything was new to them. But that wasnt an excuse. This new air pumping machine was slowing up the line. That meant you had plenty of time to watch the people in front of you. It should have been obvious by the time they got to the front that they needed to remove their shoes and jackets. But they hadn't, so I waited.

And then the people in front of them were overprepared. They had decided to take their entire pantry with them. And they were aware of some new rule about the amount of fluids that can be carried onto a plane. They have about a dozen ziplock bags with 2.34 ounces (or whatever the new rule is...) The problem was they knew the rules better than the people enforcing them. Despite what you might think, this also held up the line. The security officer didnt know what to do when the old guy took a sip of hand soap from a sandwich bag. Then when the big-on-rules guy told the security guy the rules, he went power-trip and took offense. So then he had to act like there was a big problem, which delayed everyone even more. The sad fact of the matter is if I were a criminal I would have had a perfect distraction to slide through the line. You had a bunch of overeager wanna-be hostage negotiators giving a 65 year old law abiding man a hard time.

Argh. So frustrating. I have decided that the break even point of flying is getting bigger. That is to say that if you are traveling under 300 miles, it is more efficient to drive (or walk or bike or swim.) I dont know what the old thresehold point was, but it is getting longer. They tell people to get to the airport an hour or two early. Well the people who are getting there that early are the ones who are holding up the lines. People who travel often do not need that much time. They arrive with boarding pass in hand without the intention of checking bags.

Then i boarded the plane. Since I was on Southwest and had a C grouping and did not check any bags, I didnt care where I sat. Instead of standing in line for 30 minutes I bought a newspaper and sat in a chair and read it. Then I boarded the plane, last. The flight was almost, but not completely full. I ended up sitting in a middle seat about halfway back. I sat in between a man and women, about 40 years old. I thought they didnt know each other but later learned they were together.

Which was a major problem. They thought they were being so savvy be sitting in the aisle and window seats. Their little sceme was to try to discourage another person from sitting between them by putting their bags in the middle seat. Well it didnt work. I wasnt checking any bags and had a tiny backpack that I could hold on my lap if need be. I wasnt going any further back than I had to, so when I asked if the seat was taken and he reluctantly said it was available I sat down.

It was then I realized they knew each other. It wasnt the immediate conversation that gave it away. It was the next 45 minutes of chatter across me that gave it away. Ok sneaky people, your trick didnt work and I sat in your row. You lost. Well dont talk across me the entire time. If you were so pressed to sit next to your friend/wife/whatever then offer to switch seats with me once I sat down. But that never happened. Jerks. Oh well.

Atleast I arrived at the airport with no way of getting home. At first it was sort of exciting. Sort of like my own personal make-shift Amazing Race. However, after wandering around baggage claim for 10 minutes I thought it was way to sketchy to ask a random person for a ride. My original thought of chatting it up on the plane and getting to know my plane neighbors was ruined by annoying couple, and i was unable to spot anyone wearing a high school jacket of the school near my house (which was my back up plan...) so i ended up sucking it up and just getting a taxi. Atleast I was home in time to watch Monday night footballl.

PS Merry Christmas!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been in that air spurting machine too. I was sent there after arriving at the airport in San Juan ohhh about 20 minutes before our flight was scheduled to leave. Knowing we had to still recheck our bags and go through customs I was pretty psyched that innocent ole me was chosen for the random security checkpoint. I even got repremanded by the security check person when I got an attitude with them for taking too long. Go figure. Not only are fellow passengers incompetent but so is everyone associated with the process of flying...in my humble opinion of course.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to fly. Well it does, but it doesn't.

Eric said...

I bothers me that people still haven't gotten it yet. If everyone just took there shoes off, and anything remotely metal it would save so much time over the course of a day. It's not a complicated process.

Mike said...

I've also been in the air shooting machine, but I've only seen it in Hartford, which has too be the most annoying airport to fly into or out of. I could write a whole blog about it (and should have over Thanksgiving... damn it). Look for that on the Pump House this Easter.

Anyway, I would have kept interupting the annoying couple with small talk every time they spoke across you.

chuck zoi said...

There are very few of these post-9/11 security measures that are actually useful. The only useful one I can think of is reinforcing the cockpit doors. All this extra bullshit is just smoke and mirrors. The only other actual meaningful change is that passengers now know they have to fight back instead of just sitting quietly assuming that the crazy hijackers just want money and they'll all be ok if they just don't piss them off.

Brian said...

yeah, although i think a big part of the current security measures are to make people be more confident and feel safe. probably one aim of anti-terrorism measures is to decrease the fear. i dont know. i am just curious how the air shooter thing works...

Anonymous said...

I remembering reading this article about it.

It's called an explosive detection trace portal or ETP:

"...ETP blasts puffs of air that blow particles off passengers' bodies and clothes and into a machine that can detect explosive materials."

Anonymous said...

Look, they named it after me!

Unknown said...

I disagree that the "break even point" of flying is getting bigger. Yes, any added secuirty mesures increase it. However, the siongle invention of on-line check-in with the ability to obtain your boarding pass at home, has significantly shortened the necessary time. I have taken two trips in the last two weeks, and both times, I have arrived at the airport about 45 minutes before the flight.

In the days of "arrive 2 hours before your flight", I preffered to take the train to Boston because there wasn't much difference. Now, I suspect flying wins the time competion (but not necesarily comfort).

Adspar, they're not just smoke-and-mirrors designed to make us feel better. In some cases, the rules and security procedures are the result of lobbying by corporations (even those other than the airlines). For instance, using your cell phone in flight isn't going to cause problems for the plane. It its, however, going to cause problems for the phone company who has to track you as you zip from cell to cell at 300+ mph. It's just easier for them if you aren't allowed to use the phone at all. Think about it. If transmitting signals really caused a problem, why did they used to have those phones ON the airplane?

Along these lines, I suspect the cosmetic industry is behind the new "baggie" regulation. How much shampoo, soap, etc, gets thrown out each day because people didn't follow the rule? And doesn't all of that product need to be replaced once you reach your destination?