Tuesday, November 27, 2007

big on rules?

****Updated******

Thanks Tony for the info. After further investigation, here is the original. I guess he wasn't trying to be funny-

I am not sure what this exactly means, but referee Ron Cherry is pretty funny. I have definitely never heard of that infraction on the football field. I do wonder if he modified the name of the penalty because of the jersey number of the player who committed the foul. Maybe not, and possibly football rulebook junkies around the county know exactly what foul he was referring to. I do not. It would also be pretty entertaining if he had been waiting years for a player with the number 69 to commit that exact infraction, just so he would be able to say what he did. If that is the case, i give him props for not cracking a smile. There is no way I would have been able to say that without laughing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I do not see "Giving another player the business" in the "Loss of ten yards" penalties in the nFL rule book. Maybe it's a coolege rule?

Unknown said...

Tryk...I was watching PTI, on my DVR of course, and apparently it was a tribute to some old time ref who said it back in 1986 during a Jets/Bills game.

http://ballhype.com/story/funny_referee_call_jets_bills_football_fight/

Anonymous said...

I just realized today (Dec. 12) that you and Matthew still write blogs. I thought Eric and the Baseblogger were the only ones left. Shows how little I've been paying attention. Hopefully you haven't decided to stop again (I noticed that it's been about 2 weeks). I think I may need to see about a comeback