Tuesday, November 20, 2007

oh Brad

I can't say I was that surprised last night by the decision made by Brad on the finale of The Bachelor. And from the looks of the poll [results shown below] it appears a few of you readers are also not surprised. including Morgan, who correctly predicted this days ago...

give Jenni a rose (14%)
propose to Jenni (14%)
give Deanna a rose (28%)
propose to Deanna (0%)
select neither (42%)

My opinion of Brad changed somewhat last night. I have thought, and still think, that he is a good guy. He doesn't seem to be shady, creepy, gross or annoying. He also gave the impression that he was very motivated to find a wife and was taking the show very seriously. But I didn't enjoy the way he handled his final decision to not keep Jenni or Deanna. Why can he not pick just one of them? He didn't need to propose, couldn't he just give the girl a rose and they could keep dating? Were things with both girls going so badly? He clearly said many times how serious he was taking things and how much he really cared for the women.

It seemed to me that he probably didn't change his mind at the very last second as it appeared. I just have a hard time believing that he honestly did. If he is as genuine and honest as he says, I can't believe he would do that. He always says how much he is struggling over his decisions, but I don't think that he would switch his decision at the last minute. If he did change his mind at the very last second, I would expect him to be more apologetic towards Deanna for leading her on the way he did at the ceremony. And that is what I didn't like about his actions. Assuming he knew before hand that he wasn't going to pick either one of them (although I am sure he would probably say he changed his mind at the last minute) then what he did is pretty messed up. He teased Deanna, even going so far as to mention that he just sent Jenni home. And also his presentation looked weak. His collar wasn't even tight yet he was like fake adjusting it as if it were too tight. It appeared that he was trying to make it look like he was under enormous pressure and freaking out when he really wasn't. Including his walkoff to catch his breath, and returning to say something that seemed rehearsed. It was inconsistent with his demeanor during all other rejections. I don't believe that he actually called an audible at the very last minute.

It doesn't really bother me if he (or any contestant) doesn't fall in love. If anything maybe he is just normal. I have always thought that its strange that these people fall so madly in love in such a short time and under crazy circumstances. So maybe his decision isn't all that surprising, being that he has always seemed like a pretty normal guy. The thing is, what I remember most about this season is how he always treated all the girls. He was always a gentleman, and always very careful with his words. He hated hurting any of the girls along the way. It seemed like more than anything he always wanted to do the right thing and say the right thing. He loved that these ladies were falling for him and he always talked about how serious he was about finding a wife. But I don't think he was as serious as he thought. If he were really being true to himself, then he would have opened up more, and been willing to take risks and fall in love. His decision shows me that he wasn't really ready or willing to fall for a girl. He had two beautiful women that he got along with great, falling for him and chose not to lock it up. The funny part of it is that all he ever tried to do is look like a good guy and do the right thing. And the way he went about revealing his final decision made him look like anything but that.

Honestly, until he makes some changes, I don't know how he is ever going to find a wife. He was in a good situation, but decided not to take a chance. Its like he enjoys the thought of marriage and the chase more than the relationship itself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still don't really even know what to say. I think he did a whole lot of leading the girls on - particularly on their last dates - for him to pick neither one of them.

I am on board for a non-proposal/right hand ring kind of situation but to not pick anyone? It seems a little odd. He definitely seemed close enough to both of them to at least give a relationship a shot.

Instead he signed up for this show, made at least 5 girls fall in love with him and then decided "eh, no, I am not going to see this through."

Believe me, I share your sentiment that its crazy that these people fall in love so quickly but I think it is a pretty good way to at least start a relationship.

I guess what I am trying to say is what he did was crappy. And ABC was crappy because they made it seem that, though shocking, he was going to pick one of the girls. I am tempted to believe the conspiracy theory I read on the message boards last night (yes, I am that lame) that he just found out that his ex-girlfriend is preggers.

Side note: Someday I want the final rose ceremony to end like this:

Bachelor: I don't want to continue this journey any longer with you Suzie. I need to follow my heart.
Suzie: Well that sucks because I am pregnant with your "overnight date" baby.

Lucy said...

I was definitely disappointed by Brad not picking either of them. Especially with the way he lead Deanna on during the rose ceremony. And I just don't understand why he wouldn't give either of them a rose. I mean who cares about the whole proposal, but at least give out the rose to see where the relationship can go. I actually thought Brad was a decent guy, but I guess not. Oh well.