Thursday, March 22, 2007

return to sender

at some time or another i have made the comment (or joked in some fashion) about calling someone for their phone number. without getting too complicated or technical (*69, cell phone entries, speed dial, etc.) the point is that to be talking you would have already dialed the answerer's number. aka there should be no reason to ask for it. well the reason i bring this up is because i was thinking about email signatures, something i have written about before. i noticed that many people include their email address in their email signature and i don't understand why. the only way for a email reader to see this information in your signature is if you successfully transmit an email to that person. and if that happens, don't they already know your email address?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, and I take it a step further... this may be against all etiquette but since emails are so impersonal, I don't see the need to even address and sign an email. You know who it to and from, so why repeat that in the email like it's a letter. Just get to the point! Maybe I'm wrong.

Anonymous said...

I used to agree with you and I had no idea why I had my email in my signature, but recently I was trying to find the email of a certain person but all I had was an email of theirs forwarded to me and for some reason the email address wasn't included anywhere on the forwarded email and I thought- this must be the reason for including emails in one's signature! Just thought I'd share in order to support the perpetuation of email inclusion.