Thursday, July 20, 2006

Who is no longer on first...

i am sure everyone has been called the wrong name from time to time. well it is no different for me. in fact, because i am called by my middle name, it happens quite often. i am sure there are many memorable situations i have encountered, two of which i would like to share.

the first began when i entered college. i lived in a dorm and when we arrived the RA had posted signs on everyone's door with their name and their hometown. mine had my first name. there was a guy that lived across the hall who was a real friendly guy. he was real talkative and would sometimes hang out in or around my room. i guess he was just being resourceful the first time we talked, because he already knew my name. i failed to correct him when he kept not hearing other people call me by my middle name. months later we ordered a pizza. he ate half the pizza faster than even frese could. my first semester of college was half over, and i still hadnt corrected this guy. i felt bad. well, sort of. it was entertaining.

anyways, i was playing in a poker tournament while writing that paragraph so that should sort of explain why that portion of this post was so weak. i appologize to both of my loyal readers and will try and devote part of my full attention when writing entries from now on.

back to the second story. i have worked at my current company for 3 years. it has been an enjoyable time, highlighted mostly by the characters that i work with. it would not surprise me if at a time in the future there are more posts devoted to the people i work with. anyways, our office is in a high rise building that is not very wide. the lobby/elevator entrance is in the center of the floorplan and so our office is sort of circular. (side note, we actually switched buildings about a year ago, but the point is the same, narrow building with the lobby in the middle.) well, people who sit on the other side of the main lobby portion i like to call the others.

notice saying i like to call them the others sounds like i do it often. i dont not do it, but i also dont do it as much as it sounds like i do based on that word choice. but that doesnt make what i said wrong. in fact, its the truth. regardless, calling the others is one of my more favorite things to do on my way back from getting candy at the secretary's desk.

one of the others (i cant give away their gender, because, due to my occupation it will narrow it down real quick, and i prefer to keep coworkers unknown) is also talkative and usually goes out of their way to say hello. also, they were out of the office for a few months when i started so i was never formally introduced to them. well one day i was in the elevator with said person and they said something and told chris to have a good weekend. neither my first nor second nor last name are or resemble the name chris. clearly she called me the wrong name. well partly because i am jerk, and partly because it was funny, i never corrected her.

well for two years she called me chris. i never said anything. it was funny. plus, it had been so long that i thought it would be too awkward to try to correct her. because if i were her i would ask me why i never said anything. and i would have nothing to say except, "oh im sorry, i thought it was funny so i never corrected you."

the point of this never-ending story (such a good movie, along with the goonies one of my favorite childhood movies) is that today she said my real name. someone told her. she now knows that i am not named chris. i am not called chris. so i guess that little fun is over with for now.

but my favorite part is that she knows she called me the wrong thing for a long time. and better yet, she knows that i know that she knows.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Hey Mike... Playing Sim City?

Anonymous said...

So it's a she?